Thursday, December 20, 2007

Konatekounda & Hamana Tolon: Billy Nankouma Konate Concert in Loshausen, Germany, August 2006

In the summer of 2006, I traveled to Germany and Austria to visit old friends (and some new ones). To my delight, I discovered that Billy Nankouma Konate and other drummers whom I've known since they were knee-high were offering a concert in the remote village of Loshausen just before I was scheduled to return to Chicago.

Where in the world is Loshausen, you say? Yeah, well that's what I said too. Even with Germany's incredibly sophisticated public transportation system, I doubt I'd have been able to get there without the support of my good friend Jeanne in Bonn who agreed to drive us in her car!

Photobucket




Photobucket





Fode Konate has not changed a lick since I first met him in Conakry in 1988! See what I mean? Here's a photo of Fode from 1990:

Photobucket Fode Konate on Djembe, at the home of Famoudou Konate in Simbaya, 1990


It's been a lot of fun showing the kids in my classes pictures I have of these guys from when they were about 9 years old, then showing them these pictures--and video footage of them playing in Africa and elsewhere! This image of Billy Konate in 1988--as an 11-year old--is one of my favorites:

Billy Konate in 1988
Billy Konate at the home of Famoudou Konate in Gbessia, 1988


It was interesting to note how many people in the audience were able to sing along with many of the songs, how many people in the audience knew the names of the rhythms these guys were playing.

But the killer part of the concert was when Billy invited me on stage to join them--touting me as a strong djembe drummer. I'm sure glad I don't have any video of the spectacle, because I was slightly impaired by the coupla caiparhinas I'd consumed before they pulled me up on stage!

No comments: